Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hey Glen Park!



The Toronto Star website has another in their series of "interactive Google Maps", showing the city's neighbourhoods.

Most of our riding is covered by names that are familiar and I have an understanding of where they are (Lawrence Heights, Bedford Park, Lytton Park, Allenby and so on) but my neck of the woods (north end of Marlee) falls into "Glen Park".

In ten years, give or take, I've lived in these parts I've never heard anyone actually use "Glen Park" as a neighbourhood name. If someone asks what neighbourhood I live in, I always just default to geography ("Lawrence and Allen").

Google "Glen Park" and you get the street and the school (which, slightly confusingly, isn't on the street) -- which are, admittedly, good places to start for a neighbourhood. But otherwise, it's pretty much real estate listings and/or city documents breaking things down into "official" neighbourhoods. Not what I'd reckon I'd find if I googled a vibrant "name" neighbourhood.

So - am I just disconnected? Is this in the common parlance and I've been missing out? Does the map jibe with what you consider your neighbourhood to be?

(Things could be worse, mind you -- the north-west corner of our riding, north of Lawrence, west of Dufferin is a blank on the neighbourhood map. What do denizens of that area describe themselves with - Outlet Store-ites?)


1 comment:

  1. As a corollary to that - does this thing called "Glen Park" really make any realistic sense in its expansiveness? Does someone who lives in one of the highrises on Caledonia really think they live in the same neighbourhood as someone who lives in a highrise at Bathurst and Briar Hill?

    ReplyDelete